Why is the lung important to the body?
- The Government of India’s admission for the first time in Parliament on August 6, 2015 that more than 35000 people had died of acute respiratory infections (ARI) during the last one decade and that more than 26 million ARI cases were reported every year during the period merely underlines the importance of keeping our lungs healthy and strong.
- The lungs, located on either side of the chest, are responsible for taking oxygen and expelling carbon dioxide.
- You take over six million breaths every year and each breath provides the oxygen to keep every cell in your body alive. After about four minutes without oxygen, brain cells begin dying leading to brain damage and ultimately death.
What are the diseases of the lungs?
- Lungs are vulnerable to a host of disorders like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, pleurisy, influenza, severe acute respiratory syndrome, tuberculosis and cancer.
- You can ward off lung disorders by avoiding substances that harm your lungs and embracing activities that promote Lung Health.
How do I make my lungs healthy?
- Topping the list of don’ts is quitting smoking if you are a smoker and not smoking at all if you are not a smoker. Smoking, as the movie ads repeatedly underline, causes cancer and kills. You should, therefore, avoid even second hand smoke.
- You must avoid or at least reduce exposure to all types of air pollution both within and outside your home. You must minimize occupational exposure to carcinogens and pollutants by taking precautions like wearing masks.
What is the best exercise for lungs?
- Deep breathing, regular exercise, staying hydrated and a diet rich in vegetables and fruit replete with minerals and anti-oxidants will contribute to your lung health.
- The lungs are durable and last a lifetime if only you take good care of them. If the lungs are damaged beyond repair, costly and complicated Lung Transplantation may be the only alternative. After all, prevention is any day better than cure.
About Dr Gokhale:
Dr Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale is the best lung transplant surgeon in India who performed first successful lung transplantation surgery in Hyderabad, Telangana.
M.S, M.Ch (Vellore), DNB, SMP(IIM-C)
Chief Cardiothoracic, Transplant and
Minimal Access Cardiac Surgeon & HOD
Apollo Hospitals, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
Emergency Number(s): 9603040506
Contact Number(s): 91-40-2360 7777 / 5555 / 2000
For any questions / enquires, you can Ask Doctor.
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org